List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-24 18:05:53

On Sunday 24 October 2004 10:46, Andre Moreira Magalhaes wrote:

some general notes:

the patches tend to change a LOT of whitespacing. this is generally very
frowned upon since it's usually formatted to the taste of the developer who
maintains it (though not always) and, more importantly, it renders `cvs log`
and `cvs ann` nearly useless.

your patches are also very large and combine several different changes in
each. it's much, much nicer when the patches are separated out so that each
diff does _one_ thing.

on to the patches themselves =)

the first 4 items is something the maintainer of plastik, along with the other
kde artsts, should have a say in. the maintainer of plastik is Sandro Giessl
<ceebx@users.sourceforge.net>, and the artists lurk on kde-artists@kde.org

> 1) the patch for plastik is not a fix. it only change the way plastik
> draw a listview branch to a ligther line than a dotted line. (this is
> the simplest one)
> 2) rounded selection in iconview. all iconview items selection are
> rounded.
> 3) rubberband. as you can see the rubberband is semi-transparent.
> (there is a option to change this to default one)

does this depend on the Qt patch? if so, i don't know if the patch can go in,
but the artists would probably be able to say...

KFileIVIDesktop::paintFocus( QPainter *p, const QColorGroup &cg ) seems
completely comments out. perhaps it should just be removed?

> 4) Modified dialogs when in iconlist mode to highlight item on mouse
> over (mozilla-firefox).

the next two patches belong on kfm-devel@kde.org, which is where konqi devel
is discussed (though it seems David is reading this thread here as well).

> 5) Added a new konqueror sidebar look, using QToolBox.

toolboxes suck when it comes to usability (not that our current sidebar thing
is exactly great)

personally, i'm not thrilled to see this as Yet Another Option ...

it would be much better to do some actual testing in both modes, pick the one
that is best, improve as necessary, and go with it.

> 6) Now sidebar is saved per profile. (this is the most usefull for me,
> you can have different profiles for example for browser and
> filemanagement)

i think #6 is a very good improvement, but it will require a kconf_update
script since losing your sidebar config, at least for the two most common
profiles of file management and web browsing, isn't an option.

i'd also echo Allen Winter: if you would like to continue working on this sort
of stuff (which we do need, to be sure!) then you may want to consider
applying for a CVS account of your own.. they are pretty easy to get =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo