List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Naming conventions?
From:       Richard Smith <kde () metafoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-14 19:44:35

On Thursday 14 October 2004 20:23, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 02:47, Richard Smith wrote:
> > Trouble is, that's not smart. That's the brokenness I'm referring to. You
> > can't represent indent width as a single integer - it's either number of
> > tabs and number of spaces, or it's a string containing the whitespace,
> > copied from wherever. I prefer the latter (that's how my indenter works).
>
> So, if the new indenter is going to replace the current one in the near
> future, will the tab issue be solved in the normal indenter too?
> I have switched to spaces too, until that's solved.

It's already in CVS. The new indenter is called S&S C Style; setting the Kate
variable indent-mode to csands should use it. It's in need of testing, so I'd
appreciate it if you'd use it :)

> Before I switched from MS Windows to Linux, I had a neat text editor named
> Crimson Editor, which had an amazingly simple auto-indenting policy:
> When Enter is pressed, let the new line contain the exact same spaces and
> tabs as before the first symbol of the last non-empty line.

That was my initial idea, and there's a chance Kate's Normal mode might end up
doing this under certain configurations.
--
Thanks,
Richard