List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Naming conventions?
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-10-14 19:23:53

On Thursday 14 October 2004 02:47, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 01:25, Jesse wrote:
> > Actually, I wrote Kate's cstyle auto-indenter so any auto-indent
> > improvements can be made there. Is that what you meant?  BTW, if Kate
> > sees that it needs 10 spaces worth of padding and tab-size is 4, it's
> > smart enough to insert 2 tabs and 2 spaces.
>
> Trouble is, that's not smart. That's the brokenness I'm referring to. You
> can't represent indent width as a single integer - it's either number of
> tabs and number of spaces, or it's a string containing the whitespace,
> copied from wherever. I prefer the latter (that's how my indenter works).

So, if the new indenter is going to replace the current one in the near
future, will the tab issue be solved in the normal indenter too?
I have switched to spaces too, until that's solved.

Before I switched from MS Windows to Linux, I had a neat text editor named
Crimson Editor, which had an amazingly simple auto-indenting policy:
When Enter is pressed, let the new line contain the exact same spaces and
tabs as before the first symbol of the last non-empty line.

(Sorry for that mixture of complexity and not having English
as my mother tongue.)

I think the current normal indenter handles it similarly,
except for the tab issue. But I don't know. Anyways,
I think the normal mode auto-indenter for non-code files
should not do more than that.