List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Naming conventions?
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2004-10-14 12:37:48

On October 13, 2004 08:19 pm, Michael Pyne wrote:
> What about stuff like (you'll need a fixed-width font for this
> demonstration):
>
> Namespace::type ClassWithALongName::fooMethod(bool argument_1,
>                                               int argument_2, etc...
>
>     ^        ^         ^          ^
>
> How are you going to indent the int so that it is (always, no matter what
> tab setting you use) directly under bool by using tabs alone?

Well for one, I personally hate that indentation style, so it is a non issue.

I do not like the second line of arguments to align like that. And here is
why: If the combination of the class name and method name approaches your
word wrap limit, you end up with crap like this, which is just retarded:

Namespace::type ClassWithALongName::fooMethodWithLongName(bool argument_1,

bool argument_2,

QString argument_3 )

( I dont know how this is going to appear, but basically, every argument is on
it's own line )

IMO this is *MUCH* cleaner:

)

> Even if you are a tabs kind of programmer, this has to be done using spaces
to look right.

Only if "look right" == "spans many vertical lines"

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson