List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Free Intel C++ compiler
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2004-10-03 16:41:08

On Sunday 03 October 2004 13:15, Marc Espie wrote:
> In article <415AC885.1070506@telegraph-road.org> you write:
> >Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> >> The 7.0 version was good. Unfortunatly the 8.x series discriminates
> >> unfairly against AMD processors, and is therefore completly unsuitable
> >> for free software development.
> >
> >If you have an Intel CPU, then what's the problem ?
>
> You're kidding, right ?
> If you distribute any kind of binaries,

... you will of course use gcc, if only to ensure compatibility with
gcc-compiled libs. That goes without saying.

> So, the kind of stuff for which you can fairly use the Intel compiler
> is:
> - for your own development;
> - not for distributing any kind of binaries;
> - as long as you don't get paid.
>
> sounds very restrictive to me.

And according to our tests on Rosegarden, it compiles twice as fast as gcc3
(said tests were performed on an AMD, to boot). For spare-time development,
that helps.

> I don't know about you, but using a compiler that is obvious set up to
> slam the competition doesn't strike me as ethical either...

Oh please. That Intel C++ doesn't work just as well on AMD is perfectly
acceptable marketing practice. What else do you expect ? And if you really
want to walk down this path, there are quite a few things more important to
worry about than this.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org