List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: moving windows outside destop boundaries
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-09-13 11:22:54

On Sunday 12 of September 2004 22:33, Alex wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 September 2004 02:22, Alex wrote:
> >> Wow, is that documented somewhere?
> >
> > http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/tips.html#id2914306
>
> Actually that tip documents an alternative way to move windows,
> it doesn't mention crossing the top edge of desktop.
> There's dragging of the titlebar, right click on a border and selecting
> "Move" and the ALT+LMButton that the tip describes.
> However neither the fact nor the reasoning are documented that the top
> edge of the desktop is an uncrossable barrier to all ways of moving
> windows, except the ALT+LMButton way. The most plausible explanation I can
> think of, was that the developers forgot to block that way, when they
> blocked the other 2 ways, because the top edge of the desktop was never a
> barrier before. I don't get why it has to be a barrier at all when none of
> the other 3 edges are barriers to any method of moving windows.
> Could it even be a bug?

 No, it's intentional that you now cannot move a window in such a way that
you'd be unable to move it back the same way (e.g. move a window by dragging
its titlebar so that the titlebar would become unaccessible and therefore
people not knowing other ways wouldn't be able to move it anymore). It was
done in order to stop complains from people who did this and were not aware
of Alt+LMB etc., now of course since one cannot please everyone there are
other complains. Use Alt+LMB or any other way which doesn't depend on the
titlebar if you don't like this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer