List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font setup in "startkde".
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-09-01 9:41:13

On Tuesday 31 Aug 2004 17:34, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Craig Drummond wrote:
> > I added these lines as the KDE font installer does create Fontmap files -
> > therefore GS_LIB is the correct one to use. The trouble with using
> > GS_FONTPATH is that it doesn't recurse into sub-directories.
>
> AFAIK, there is no recursion with GS_LIB because GhostScript doesn't use
> FontConfig.  You can put all of the entries in the "Fontmap" file in the
> directory that is the root of that directory tree, but that isn't the
> normal way to do it and utilities that create "Fontmap" files do NOT do
> that.
>
> But you make a good point.  If we assume that KDE users will install fonts
> with the KDE Font Installer, then why do we need all of this junk in
> "startkde"?

That's a wrong assumption. There must be people who use KDE only some of the
time, and wouldn't necessarily want to use a KDE utility to install fonts.
Until there's some user documentation to say exactly what kfontinst does, I
for one wouldn't risk using it in case it interfered with my current font
installation which took me a lot of work to set up (pre-kfontinst). And no
doubt there are other reasons why people would install fonts in other ways.

--
David Jarvie.