List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font setup in "startkde".
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-09-01 15:41:33

David Jarvie wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 Aug 2004 17:34, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Craig Drummond wrote:
>>
>>>I added these lines as the KDE font installer does create Fontmap files -
>>>therefore GS_LIB is the correct one to use. The trouble with using
>>>GS_FONTPATH is that it doesn't recurse into sub-directories.
>>
>>AFAIK, there is no recursion with GS_LIB because GhostScript doesn't use
>>FontConfig.  You can put all of the entries in the "Fontmap" file in the
>>directory that is the root of that directory tree, but that isn't the
>>normal way to do it and utilities that create "Fontmap" files do NOT do
>>that.
>>
>>But you make a good point.  If we assume that KDE users will install fonts
>>with the KDE Font Installer, then why do we need all of this junk in
>>"startkde"?
>

> That's a wrong assumption. There must be people who use KDE only some of the
> time, and wouldn't necessarily want to use a KDE utility to install fonts.
> Until there's some user documentation to say exactly what kfontinst does, I
> for one wouldn't risk using it in case it interfered with my current font
> installation which took me a lot of work to set up (pre-kfontinst). And no
> doubt there are other reasons why people would install fonts in other ways.

Yes, but.  If you don't use the KDE Font Installer and don't always use KDE,
should we assume that you haven't configured your system correctly -- that you
would have fonts installed that only work with KDE?  Specifically, we should
presume that fonts installed in $HOME/.fonts are setup correctly.  Remember,
this junk is intended as a kludge to correct for systems that are not configured
correctly.

--
JRT