List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how do i get rid of kdeinit dominating program names - entirely
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-09-01 4:05:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> can i ask a question: when you say "reused", in the case of
> kio_imap4, do you mean that kmail can disconnect and reconnect
> and the imap4 connection will still be there for it to use
> (and so no second password request)

Reused means that, if kmail requires an imap4 connection and kio_imap4 is
already there, it'll reuse that kioslave instead of spawning a new one. If
the connection is already open, that's something else. But I don't believe
one program is allowed to hijack the open connection of another.

> or do you mean that, for example, if i have konqueror open
> up a connection to ftp.uk.debian.org, and then i have, oh,
> i dunno... kbear do a download from the same page...
>
> are you telling me that kbear could end up using the same
> kio_slave???

That currently happens, but I think the kioslave forking from the master app
should prevent that.

> because if so, that's potentially ... not ideal.

Agreed.

>can kioslave be switched off too, into a kio_imap4 _program_?
>can there be a kio_http _program_ done as well?

That's possible. It would require that a stub executable be created for
every kdeinit .so module. It isn't hard, actually -- it would be basically
the same code, with the difference that the generated binary would be
linked to a different .so.

Thus, we end up with:

	lib/kde3/kio_imap4.so
	bin/kio_imap4 (or maybe not in bin/ so as not to pollute it)

The latter would dlopen the former on invocation.

libkio would have to be modified to use something like KDE_EXEC_SLAVES in
addition to KDE_FORK_SLAVES.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info