List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Window Focus Behaviour
From:       AR User <ars () joot ! com>
Date:       2004-07-02 21:19:43

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Still, not even your algorithm would be perfect: pinentry window and
> KMail. It's actually a "KMail window", but it comes from a different
> program. So it never gets focus either.

Wouldn't KMail have to fork() then execv() the pinentry window, thus
becoming the parent application?  In which case KMail can be considered
the owner of the application and the child app's GUI would be allowed to
take focus.

> So, if I am in konsole and I start an app, it won't get focused? But
> that's exactly what I wanted when I started the app...

If you are in Konsole and launch a GUI app., my feeling is that Alt-Tab
would be a sufficient work-around to the issue (so long as the
application you *just* launched is put into the appropriate z-order).  A
good example of this is Mandrake's package manager: rpmdrake, which I
start exclusively from the command line.

But!  If I understand things correctly ... Konsole has focus, and is
thus the CFA.  It runs /bin/bash to provide a shell, and is thus the
parent of the shell, too.  The shell spawns an application, becoming the
parent of that application.  Since Konsole is the grandparent, the
launched application is allowed to take focus.

So, basically, the algorithm becomes: it is okay to give focus away to a
child/spawned application, provided its parent (or grandparent, up the
family line) process is the CFA.  I don't know if this is possible.  :-)

I reiterate, however ... this is something *I* desire, and I sincerely
doubt many people would want this exact behaviour.  Also, if this is the
behaviour that KDE is supposed to have, then there is a bug, because
none of the settings I have used apply it perfectly.

Dave