List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding the recent thread on the kmail bug
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-07-02 23:02:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
>I have read the empty kmail bug thread, and since I too have received
>an odd message, maybe I can help.
>
>The message I received, when opened from kmail, it shows the header
> only. Maybe it has MIME encoding problems?
>Using the "Show source" menu entry reveals a lot of hidden text.
>
>Check the message in the attachment (gzipped, so it should not be
> mangled)

Indeed!

Now I know what you're talking about.

The message, opened in KMail, shows empty contents, but the headers are
shown fine. If I view the source, I see some text inside.

BUT

the message is invalid. Why? Because it has a content-type of:

but it fails to say what the boundary is. KMail cannot, therefore, find
a boundary to separate the parts.

Maybe it could detect the boundary. Let's see what the RFC says...

RFC 2045 (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part One),
section 5 (Content-Type Header field):

   For example, the "charset" parameter is applicable to any subtype of
   "text", while the "boundary" parameter is required for any subtype of
   the "multipart" media type.

RFC 2046 (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) Part  Two),
section 5.1.1 (Common Syntax) in section 5.1 (Multipart Media Type):

   The Content-Type field for multipart entities requires one parameter,
   "boundary".

Therefore, the message you sent me is not valid and KMail is correct in
showing whatever it wishes.

In addition, the RFCs say a MIME-compliant user agent must ignore
everything before the first boundary and after the last. Since there is
no boundary, everything is to be ignored.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info