List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: arts degradation?
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2004-05-31 16:32:07

On Monday 31 May 2004 17:48, Robin Atwood wrote:
> I have just upgraded my hardware to an ASUS P4P800SE with a 3.2GB P4. I
> mpved the disk with my old KDE 3.3.3 system to the new machine and (after
> fun-and-games with the kernel) got everything booted up. I installed the
> (pay-for) OSS sound drivers that support the Intel ICH5 chipset. The sound
> test worked fine but when I logged onto KDE, arts started issuing those CPU
> overload messages I saw so much of when testing FC2-T3+ALSA .
>
> I eventually found that selecting Threaded OSS on the KCC sound hardware
> dialog gave me sound in applications: KSCD, KMIX, Noatun and Xine all work
> but there are no system event sounds! I then installed my old sound card
> (ES1371) and reconfigured OSS. Exactly the same result: only TOSS doesn't
> hang arts but there are no system sounds. Anyone throw some light on these
> strange results. This worked perfectly on the old machine with the same
> software.

Well the TOSS vs. OSS issue, is that the basic OSS drivers relies on the
sound-driver to produce events when it is ready to recieve sounddata. If for
some reason the kernel-driver is broken and just reports 'ready' all the
time, this will result in an infinite loop (I am ready -> how much data can I
send you? -> nothing really, just kiddin') . Instead TOSS asks at timed
interval how much data the driver can recieve, sends that and goes back to
sleep.

The TOSS solution is by far the safest, and should really be made default.
However the only driver which is known to be reproducible broken in this way
is the OSS-emulation in ALSA, and here it is better to just use the ALSA
driver.

So basically: Use ALSA in the kernel and use the ALSA driver in aRts.

`Allan