List:       kde-devel
Subject:    arts degradation?
From:       Robin Atwood <robin.atwood () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2004-05-31 15:48:49

I have just upgraded my hardware to an ASUS P4P800SE with a 3.2GB P4. I mpved
the disk with my old KDE 3.3.3 system to the new machine and (after
fun-and-games with the kernel) got everything booted up. I installed the
(pay-for) OSS sound drivers that support the Intel ICH5 chipset. The sound
test worked fine but when I logged onto KDE, arts started issuing those CPU
overload messages I saw so much of when testing FC2-T3+ALSA .

I eventually found that selecting Threaded OSS on the KCC sound hardware
dialog gave me sound in applications: KSCD, KMIX, Noatun and Xine all work
but there are no system event sounds! I then installed my old sound card
(ES1371) and reconfigured OSS. Exactly the same result: only TOSS doesn't
hang arts but there are no system sounds. Anyone throw some light on these
strange results. This worked perfectly on the old machine with the same
software.
TIA
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

"This tag line left intentionally blank"