List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Chance of inclusion of PwManager in KDE
From:       Christian Loose <christian.loose () hamburg ! de>
Date:       2004-04-30 17:59:13

Am Freitag, 30. April 2004 19:48 schrieb Michael Buesch:
> On Friday 30 April 2004 19:44, Christian Loose wrote:
> >
> > IMHO having to competing password managers inside the KDE base
> > distribution is a bad idea.
> >
> > So I think you have two options:
> >
> > 1. Add your application to kdeextragear. This gives your app more
> > visibility and other benefits of the kde infrastructure (doc, i18n, etc).
>
> Yes, that would be a solution I was searching for.
> Is there some maintainer of these packages? Which developer
> should I ask for inclusion?

Well there is a webpage http://extragear.kde.org/ with some info about the
requirements.

AFAIK the contact person is Klas Kalass (klas.kalass@gmx.de). There is also a
could try your luck.

> > 2. You could base your application on KWallet. So it uses KWallet to
> > store the password but provides the additional features it has now (like
> > chipcard interface). It could then replace the current kwalletmanager  in
> > kdeutils/kwallet.
>
> That's not going to happen, because PwManager will loose some
> of its features if done so.

Too bad. Having a powerful password manager like your app would be really nice
to have in the base distribution.

Did you try talking to George Staikos (staikos@kde.org) about those missing
needs? I would suspect that he would be willing to add those parts so you
could base your app on KWallet.

Bye, Christian