List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Settings issues
From:       praveen kandikuppa <campusloop () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-31 21:10:13

--- Shift <shift@free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 31 Janvier 2004 20:06, praveen kandikuppa
> a �rit :
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> >      I wanted to point out a suggestion regarding
> the
> > current design of "file associations". Usually an
> > application handles a set of mimetypes, hence one
> > logical place to set the preferred
> application<->mime
> > type would be application wise. For eg. I would
> like
> > kplayer to handle all the video types it can
> handle
> > and juk to handle all the audio types it can
> handle.
> > but this is difficult to accomplish. Currently you
> > have to search for all the video mime types and
> for
> > each one put kplayer to be the preferred app. Is
> there
> > some way the mime types can be set on a per
> > application basis. This would seem to be a good
> > option. An application can have some sort of
> settings
> > page to accomplish this and global support in the
> libs
> > would be very good in my opinion.
>
> It allready exists.
> In Konqueror choose "Go to" > "Applications" in the
> menu (or something similar
> 'cause my KDE is in French).
> The go to the application you want to configure.
> Right-click on it and choose
> "Properties". Here you have a tab "Application"
> where you can configure what
> you are talking about.
I have already seen that tab. It only lists what mime
types are registered for the application. It also
provides options to add or remove mime types. But what
i am asking for is an easy way to make that particular
application default for the mimetypes specified.
Consider for example you installed a new video player
-- it will specify mime types it can handle, but how
do i make it default for the mime types it can handle.
There is no easy way to do it currently.
         But "applications" tab seems to be a perfect
place where to put it. I will probably make a patch
soon to have this functionality.