List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Settings issues
From:       André Somers <a.t.somers () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2004-01-31 19:22:31

Hi,

>     I wanted to point out a suggestion regarding the
>current design of "file associations". Usually an
>application handles a set of mimetypes, hence one
>logical place to set the preferred application<->mime
>type would be application wise. For eg. I would like
>kplayer to handle all the video types it can handle
>and juk to handle all the audio types it can handle.
>but this is difficult to accomplish. Currently you
>have to search for all the video mime types and for
>each one put kplayer to be the preferred app. Is there
>some way the mime types can be set on a per
>application basis. This would seem to be a good
>option. An application can have some sort of settings
>page to accomplish this and global support in the libs
>would be very good in my opinion.
I agree this would be very usefull (though the current way of editing should
not be abandoned for this). Please add it as a wish to the bugsystem. I think
there should be some common way for applications to use this, so maybe a wish
against KDELibs or something like that?

André
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant