List:       kde-devel
Subject:    User Settings issues
From:       praveen kandikuppa <campusloop () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-01-31 19:06:22

Hi,
     I wanted to point out a suggestion regarding the
current design of "file associations". Usually an
application handles a set of mimetypes, hence one
logical place to set the preferred application<->mime
type would be application wise. For eg. I would like
kplayer to handle all the video types it can handle
and juk to handle all the audio types it can handle.
but this is difficult to accomplish. Currently you
have to search for all the video mime types and for
each one put kplayer to be the preferred app. Is there
some way the mime types can be set on a per
application basis. This would seem to be a good
option. An application can have some sort of settings
page to accomplish this and global support in the libs
would be very good in my opinion.
          Another issue is settings do not get
properly updated between kde versions. When migrating
from kde 3.1 to 3.2 kicker panel icon  arrangement was
messed up. I had a quick launch panel for which the
settings were lost. Some menu entries didn't have
icons. I had an issues with settings of some other
applications. Could this be a packaging issue or has
somebody else faced these problems. Can't all this be
done transparently?.
         What do you think of this? Should i submit a
bug report for this.

regards
praveen.