List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QA Team [JRT]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-31 3:29:02

Chris Howells wrote:

> On Friday 30 January 2004 02:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>If there are plenty of regressions in KHTML, then the release should be
>>delayed till they are fixed.  A new release should not have new bugs in old
>
> There are not "plenty" of regressions. There are "some". As well as many
> hundreds of improvements.

Excuse me, Matt Rogers said that and I thought that it was a little
questionable

>>Bugs in new features appear to be an unavoidable fact of
>>software development.
>
> Oh good, we seem to agree on one thing at least.

If you would take the time for a reasonable discussion, you would find that
  you probably agree with me on a lot of things.  From my side, it appears
that those that disagree with me are actually disagreeing with a straw man.

However, it appears that there is one thing that you don't agree with me
about: "The three most important things in software are quality, quality,
and duality".

>>they they may go back.  The 3_2_BRANCH from yesterday has bugs that if they
>>are not fixed, I will go back to 3.1.5.

I have found a work around for the most serious one.

> Generally I care greatly about my users, but frankly I don't give a damn. Go
> and use it for all I care.

You make the mistake of thinking that my thoughts only apply to one user.
If you say that you don't care about me not liking the bugs what will be in
the 3.2 release, you are saying that about all users that will install it.

> a) KDE has no QA team. It's a sad fact, but that's how it goes. One or two
> people are doing work on a QA team, which I applaud. I hope it goes well.

If there were a QA team, they would be telling you some of the same things
which I am.

> b) People are not compelled to do what you say, even if you think _your_
> suggestions is a great idea.

I don't regard reporting bugs as making "suggestions".  The bugs are real,
some are regressions, and then need to be fixed.

> This is a free software project. If you were the
> boss of a company and paying us all it maybe different, but it ain't.

Yes, but we can't have total anarchy.  If we do get an organized QA team,
they will come up with a list of bugs that need to be fixed before the
release -- somebody will then have to do what they say or there will be no
point in having a QA team.

--
JRT