List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of anciliary message catalogues
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-12-31 10:05:56

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 01:36, Dominic Chambers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need a way to store a catalogue of textual descriptions for the daemons
> commonly used on UNIX systems while ensuring that these decriptions are
> translatable. I could just create a C file that sets up an associative
> array of i18n'ed strings, but I don't know if that is the 'right' way to go
> about it.
>
> Does anyone have any experience in this area?

You can look at KStar (in kdeedu) and in Kivio (KOffice). Both applications
need to have extra data not in the normal application source code.

Personally, I have done Kivio's I18N extraction, so I suggest to look there
first.

So you have basically 2 chocies:
- you create a XMl file where the text is an element (for example: <data>This
is the text to translate</data>)
- you create an extra dummy cpp file. (Really dummy, it does not need to
compile.

So I do not know if you have a XML format at hand that you could find useful.
(Note that extrating the string from XML attributes is not possible
currently.)

If XMl seems too artificial for your application then just create the dummy
cpp file.

Have a nice day!