List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kwin, kded and konqueror eat up all the hardware ressources
From:       Andreas Hartmann <andihartmann () freenet ! de>
Date:       2003-11-30 16:56:47

Hello!

I'm running actual KDE 3.2 HEAD code on a laptop (IBM TP 21). When I'm
starting KDE, all seems to work fine. But suddenly after a few actions,
like starting and closing konqueror as internet browser, e.g., kded and
kwin are eating up all the processor ressources. I have to kill kded to
stop this problem.

Another curious thing is: I'm starting konqueror as filemanager (without
the home dir, konqueror eats up complete memory (virtual and real) until
the kernel kills it.

I tried to start a clean KDE without any configuration settings - the
problems are consisting.

It's interesting that the same binaries and even depending libraries (I
checked this with the md5sums) run without these problems on a desktop
machine. The only difference is, that the laptop uses a glibc, which is
optimised for i686, kernel = 2.4.x (the desktop uses optimization for i586
and kernel =2.2.x).

Any hints?

Kind regards,
Andreas Hartmann