List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up with longhorn?
From:       Bernd Pol <bernd.pol () online ! de>
Date:       2003-11-11 17:47:23

On Tue November 11 2003 09:22, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > Scaling up never creates new data -
>
> It actually does.  It just doesn't help a human see better =)
>
> It would be derived data, but still data :p
>
> > Making large things smaller almost always looks better than
> > making small things bigger because you start off with more
> > information not less (on the other hand it's a lot more work
> > because you have to process all that information)
>
> yeap
>
> > 	Paul Campbell

There is still much cofusion about data, information and interpretation.
Just to add this one:
- Scaling up by itself does not add new information, but it adds new
data.
- If you interpret this data in a suitable fashion wou may add new
information.

See the icon scaling examples. If you are able to compute straight lines
from scaled-up pixel scatterings you added new information to the icon
that was not present formerly.

This is apart from the meaning humans associate with the information
present in some data. This be,ongs to usability aspects we want to
achieve in an UI. Data and information content are some of the abstract
mechanisms to achieve that meaning. They belong to the implementation
of usability.

Bernd