List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up with longhorn?
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-11-15 1:44:50

> Try Huffman-encoding the scaled-up data. You'll see, there is no more data.

Perhaps in the huffman-encoding rendition. But

using a compression scheme to prove the existence-or not-existence of more data
isn't exactly mathematical proof =)

if you have a time series

1 2 3 4 5

and for each point you have a reading

4 5 4 4 6

interpolating the time series

1  1.5  2  2.5  3  3.5  4  4.5  5

isn't going to give you more accuracy, but you WILL have more data - it will
take more space, need more processing time, etcetera.  The fact that this new
data won't help you much (and you might argue successfully and reasonably that
the new data isnt *new information*) doesn't negate the existence of it.

Do not confuse data with information.  You won't get any more information by
upsampling a sound or image file, and in this, I fully agree with you.

> Data isn't measured in bytes.

Wasn't the byte the ISO standard measurement unit of computer data?

> --
> Simon Perreault <perrea02@gel.ulaval.ca>
> http://nomis80.org
> "If voting could really change things, it would be illegal."
>     --Excerpt from a Diebold Election Systems internal memo.

> <<

    suerte,

    Rudd-O