List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up with longhorn?]
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () taniwha ! com>
Date:       2003-11-11 17:02:31

wrote:
> > That is NOT the point.  The point is that as your screen
> > grows, your UI elements should stay constant in size,
> > REGARDLESS of the resolution.
>
> The size should be determined based on DPI settings of your
> monitor. If I use 1600x1200 on a 17" screen, I don't really
> want everything to be tiny and illegible.
> So yes, you are right, if you are talking about DPI
> resolution, and no, you are not right, if you are talking
> about pixel resolution.

Actually I think that people need choices - I use KDE on a laptop
day-to-day that has a 16 inch 1600x1200 screen - I think that by
default UI elements should scale by DPI but people should be
able to choose to override them where possible - on my old 14
inch 1024x768 screen I scrunched down the dock to minimum size,
reduced font sizes in konsole and made icons smaller in order to
conserve precious screen space. Now I have an embarassment of
riches - I can use the beautiful large icons, the larger dock,
larger cleaner fonts - but I'm getting older, I can't easily
read the really tiny fonts that the occasional web site uses on
this new screen (the font zoom key on konq is wonderfull)

	Paul