List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: added debug areas
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-13 18:33:33

On Monday 13 October 2003 14:03, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> That is why I think that this new policy is a big drawback. And I wonder
> why we are fighting for one debug area, as KOffice will surely create much
> more in future. And why suddenly attacking Shaheed with this, as many many
> applications got debug areas before? And especially why writing (or at
> least suggesting)  that applications never got debug areas before? That is
> just nonsence!
>
> That is why I do not understand Stephan Kulow's and George Staikos's
> interventions. If kdebug is slow, then we have to make it faster. If it
> does not work, then we have to think something for KDE 4. But changing the
> policy in the middle of KDE3 is extremely curious to me.

  Do you know about grep(1)?  This will solve your problems, more quickly than
launching and playing with kdebugdialog too.  Meanwhile, the policy as far as
I remember has always been that kdebug.areas is for libraries, not
applications.  It is unnecessary for applications.  It is necessary for
libraries.  Exceptions: constantly running apps like kded, which loads many
modules, need debug areas to separate the debug info coming from each of the
modules.  KIOSlaves are also similar exceptions.  There are others.  I'm sure
kdebug.areas is and has been used for silly things before, but we really
shouldn't be adding single debug areas for single stand-alone apps,
especially not even in KDE standard distribution.  All it means is a bigger
kdebug.areas file too parse on startup and bigger log files.  Yes, mine is
presently 300MB - less than a week old.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/