List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: added debug areas
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-13 18:03:45

On Monday 13 October 2003 17:02, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> On Monday 13 October 2003 16:52, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > But if you have a common area 0, how can you enable, disable, redirect
> > the precise kdebug output of that application?
>
> I guess you have to recompile with a different configure flag.

The only change at configure time that you can do is to enable or disable
kddebug. That is even worse.

No, kdebug allowed to switch on and off each of its areas. If applications
suddenly do not get areas anymore, then you cannot debug applications
anymore. (Why should I have Kate's or Konqueror's file manager output when I
am concentrating on KWord?)

That is why I think that this new policy is a big drawback. And I wonder why
we are fighting for one debug area, as KOffice will surely create much more
in future. And why suddenly attacking Shaheed with this, as many many
applications got debug areas before? And especially why writing (or at least
suggesting)  that applications never got debug areas before? That is just
nonsence!

That is why I do not understand Stephan Kulow's and George Staikos's
interventions. If kdebug is slow, then we have to make it faster. If it does
not work, then we have to think something for KDE 4. But changing the policy
in the middle of KDE3 is extremely curious to me.

> The point of having debug areas is, IMHO, that you can turn off the debug
> messages of the libraries your app is using. As a developer you have
> complete control over the debug messages your app is printing, but not over
> debug messages of the libs. Without the areas your stdout would get flooded
> with messages from the libs, so it is nice to be able to turn them off
> selectively.

Yes, but when you cannot disable the output of other apps because you want the
debug of your app, what is your gain?

> It would be nice if you could do the same for your own app, but it is not
> *necessary*.

If it is not "necessary", then we can put kdbebug to grave, as it would be not
useful anymore.

> best,
> Jeroen

Have a nice day!