List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: added debug areas
From:       Jeroen Wijnhout <Jeroen.Wijnhout () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2003-10-13 18:42:18

On Monday 13 October 2003 08:03 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > The point of having debug areas is, IMHO, that you can turn off the debug
> > messages of the libraries your app is using. As a developer you have
> > complete control over the debug messages your app is printing, but not
> > over debug messages of the libs. Without the areas your stdout would get
> > flooded with messages from the libs, so it is nice to be able to turn
> > them off selectively.
>
> Yes, but when you cannot disable the output of other apps because you want
> the debug of your app, what is your gain?
>
> > It would be nice if you could do the same for your own app, but it is not
> > *necessary*.
>
> If it is not "necessary", then we can put kdbebug to grave, as it would be
> not useful anymore.

It is not necessary in the sense that you can turn on/off debugging by
recompiling with different flags. Agreed, this is quite useless for people
who use KDE installed from packages. That's why I think it is a good idea if
it would, somehow, be possible to turn on/off debug info in an config file.

I was just describing the status quo of kdDebug(), nothing more, nothing less.
I use debugging with my app without debug areas, no problem here, but I do
understand the benefits of doing otherwise.

best,
Jeroen

P.S.: I don't think anybody is attacking anyone, at least, I'm not.
--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net