List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KImageIO replacement
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2003-09-29 8:06:19

Dirk Schönberger írta:
>>No, you don't have to do it. Simply copy the QT image plugin to
>>plugin_dir/imageformats and your new image format are usable immediately
>>both in KDE and QT applications! It's like the designer, sql and style
>>plugins.  No registration, or anything else needed. See:
>>http://doc.trolltech.com/3.2/plugins-howto.html
>>Also converting from the kimageio plugins to qt plugins is very easy (I
>>did it on all the plugins in three hours).
>

> A I see. I didn't know the new kind of plugins, I only knew the old
> qimageio where you had to explicitly call the register methods.
> Thanks for the link.
> However, I am still not quite sure about if this really useable.
> The documentation talks about a "build key" which is used to discriminate
> between "legal" and "illegal" plugins. It will refuse to load "illegal
> plugins".
> Because I would like to package my plugin as part of KSVG (opposed to Qt or
> kdelibs/kdecore), how can I be sure that my plugin is considered "legal".
> Is
> the "build key" part of the Qt major version? minor version? build time?
>
> Regards
> Dirk
>

>>Regards,
>>György

The build key is to detect binary incompatibility due to system and
compiler differences. It mainly consists of the system name and compiler
version. In theory if 2 buildkeys are different, the 2 files are binary
incompatible, so it cannot be used together. (For example if you build
QT with gcc2.96 and the plugins with gcc3.2, than the buildkeys should
be different - in theory). If you (or the user) compile your KSVG and
the ImageIO plugins with the same compiler as he/she compiled QT and
KDE, than the buildkeys should not be a problem.

György