List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KImageIO replacement
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2003-09-29 7:27:58

Dirk Schönberger írta:
>>I looked in KImageIO and QT's image plugins. I think it would be good to
>>replace KImageIO plugins with pure QT plugins. This way KImageIO can be
>>ripped of from KDE, or can be made more lightweight (no need for the
>
> plugin
>
>>loader). Is this a good idea? If it is I could present some code, too.
>

> Problem with this is, each application who wish to use an QImageIO filter
> has to link them explicitly.
> KImageIO provides a KDE wide mechanism with central registration.
> The Qt filter mechanisms would be fine for stand-alone applications, but
> less than optimal for desktop applications. Imagine
> that Konqueror could read TIFFs (as an example), while Kicker could not do
> it...
>
> I am not quite sure if KImageIO filters can be layered, so that they can be
> either used separately (QImageIO) or
> as part of KImageIO.
>
> I am interested in this problem because I have implemented a KImageIO filter
> for SVG files (using KSVG), which I would like to test.
>
> Regards
> Dirk

No, you don't have to do it. Simply copy the QT image plugin to
plugin_dir/imageformats and your new image format are usable immediately
both in KDE and QT applications! It's like the designer, sql and style
plugins.  No registration, or anything else needed. See:
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.2/plugins-howto.html
Also converting from the kimageio plugins to qt plugins is very easy (I
did it on all the plugins in three hours).

Regards,
György