List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KImageIO replacement
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-09-28 20:36:36

> I looked in KImageIO and QT's image plugins. I think it would be good to
> replace KImageIO plugins with pure QT plugins. This way KImageIO can be
> ripped of from KDE, or can be made more lightweight (no need for the
plugin
> loader). Is this a good idea? If it is I could present some code, too.

Problem with this is, each application who wish to use an QImageIO filter
has to link them explicitly.
KImageIO provides a KDE wide mechanism with central registration.
The Qt filter mechanisms would be fine for stand-alone applications, but
less than optimal for desktop applications. Imagine
that Konqueror could read TIFFs (as an example), while Kicker could not do
it...

I am not quite sure if KImageIO filters can be layered, so that they can be
either used separately (QImageIO) or
as part of KImageIO.

I am interested in this problem because I have implemented a KImageIO filter
for SVG files (using KSVG), which I would like to test.

Regards
Dirk