List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpresenter - no pps ?
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwix () iway ! na>
Date:       2003-09-09 10:56:56

On Monday 01 September 2003 17:43, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Please try to rename it with a .ppt extension and try it again in
> KPresenter! But as this import filter has only one star (
> http://ww.koffice.org/filters/1.2 ), I doubt that you will do much with it.
>
> However I am not the maintainer of the filter, so if you do not like what
> you get, please add a bug report in KDE Bugs: http://bugs.kde.org

Sorry for answering so late. Had problems with kmail. ;-)

Actually, this isn't a problem with kpresenter but a problem with file type
recognition in KDE as a whole. While "file" reports a pps document as
Microsoft Office Document (not very specific but correct), KDE recognises it
as a Microsoft Word Document which is wrong. (Open konqueror as a file
manager, hover the mouse pointer over a pps file and see what I mean.) Thus
KDE tries to open the file with Kword which fails.

If you force Kpresenter to open a pps file it still tries to find a Word
filter for it. That fails as well, of course.

It isn't exactly an Koffice issue but wrong file type recognition in KDE as a
whole.

Uwe

--
http://www.uwix.iway.na