List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] request for review - apidox for kdelibs/kdeui (long)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-09-07 16:51:02

I am sorry to have not been precise enough. I am also sorry to have written
compatibility again with a c too much (the symbol is KDE_NO_COMPAT.)

I am going to answer your second question first.

Defining KDE_NO_COMPAT is a "tool" for compatibility between major KDE
versions. So let take for example the near future: KDE 4. In KDE 4, there
will be functions that will be considered deprec(i)ated and these will be
conditional with KDE_NO_COMPAT so that KDE 4 application do not use these
functions. Of course, a KDE 3 porgram will probably still need these
functions and therefore will need to define KDE_NO_COMPAT.

KDE_NO_COMPAT is not meant to exclude functions between say KDE 3.1 and KDE
3.2. The reason is that an application that is not part of the basic modules
of KDE (for examples: KOffice, KDE ExtraGear...) will not define
KDE_NO_COMPAT, as they are adapted to run on KDE 3. (Defining KDE_NO_COMPACT
would mean that they need compatibility functions from KDE 2.)

KDE_NO_COMPAT comes from a similar symbol in Qt: QT_NO_COMPAT, which is also
used for compatibility between major Qt versions.

As for your first question, the answer is there should be not any new
KDE_NO_COMPAT conditioned functions before KDE 4. (And as soon as KDE 4.0 is
out, the next ones will not be until KDE 5.)

I hope that I explained it a little better.

Have a nice day!