List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Storage implementation in KDE
From:       Brian Ledbetter <brian () shadowcom ! net>
Date:       2003-09-06 16:52:19

http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/index.html

I saw this on Slashdot yesterday, and think that it would be fairly
easy to develop something like this using KDE's kioslave interface.

I envision something similar to what Seth has created, with some
additional features:

* The ability to connect to more than one database server, creating
"data workgroups" of sorts.  (Imagine this as being your workgroup
file server, except it lives in a database)

	storage://(user)@(server)/search/movies+by+speilberg
	storage://(user)@(server)/search/albums+by+Loudness
		Searches

	storage://(user)@(server)/file/id/664486430549
		Direct file access by fileID.  Would also
		provide access to other user's shared files,
		if permission is granted to (user).

	storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byName/
	storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/myFiles/
	storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byType/doc/
	storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byType/pdf/
		Different ways of narrowing your search
		down, without actually having to search.

* The ability to connect to more than one type of database (Oracle
would obviously be the best suited for large file stores, though
PostgreSQL is certainly a distant second best)

* Some simple file browsing semantics, for cases in which the user
doesn't know exactly what they are looking for.

* An offline file cache, so users can continue working even though
the database server is not accessible.

Would anyone else be interested in creating something like this for
KDE?  I think that something like this could be invaluable for
enhancing KDE's reputation as a serious professional desktop
solution.  I certainly think we can make the user interface
second-to-none!  :)

--
Brian C. Ledbetter <brian@shadowcom.net>
http://www.shadowcom.net/brian/