http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/index.html I saw this on Slashdot yesterday, and think that it would be fairly easy to develop something like this using KDE's kioslave interface. I envision something similar to what Seth has created, with some additional features: * The ability to connect to more than one database server, creating "data workgroups" of sorts. (Imagine this as being your workgroup file server, except it lives in a database) storage://(user)@(server)/search/movies+by+speilberg storage://(user)@(server)/search/albums+by+Loudness Searches storage://(user)@(server)/file/id/664486430549 Direct file access by fileID. Would also provide access to other user's shared files, if permission is granted to (user). storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byName/ storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/myFiles/ storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byType/doc/ storage://(user)@(server)/allFiles/byType/pdf/ Different ways of narrowing your search down, without actually having to search. * The ability to connect to more than one type of database (Oracle would obviously be the best suited for large file stores, though PostgreSQL is certainly a distant second best) * Some simple file browsing semantics, for cases in which the user doesn't know exactly what they are looking for. * An offline file cache, so users can continue working even though the database server is not accessible. Would anyone else be interested in creating something like this for KDE? I think that something like this could be invaluable for enhancing KDE's reputation as a serious professional desktop solution. I certainly think we can make the user interface second-to-none! :) -- Brian C. Ledbetter http://www.shadowcom.net/brian/ >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<