List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       David <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-09-06 19:41:13

Brian Ledbetter wrote:

> Would anyone else be interested in creating something like this for
> KDE?  I think that something like this could be invaluable for
> enhancing KDE's reputation as a serious professional desktop
> solution.  I certainly think we can make the user interface
> second-to-none!  :)

It's an interesting concept, and it should not be excluded from the KDE
options going forward. But I seriously question its usability in
practice. For certain filesystems or directories it may make sense
(50,000 mp3 files), but in the general case it would provide little benefit.

Someone has to categorize these files. If the user isn't already
categorizing their files, a system that expects them to do so every time
a file is created or aquired isn't going to help.

I think a better way to approach this is mapping a filesystem API on top
of a traditional database. A dbfs in other words. The latter has the
advantage of categorizing your mp3 collection without being intrusive.
It could also be compatible with storage, should that be necessary.
(heck, what we really need are OS/2 HPFS metadata attributes).

David Johnson