List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] added a clear-button to minicli
From:       Martin Koller <m.koller () surfeu ! at>
Date:       2003-08-31 9:02:59

OK, I understand that my arguments are not obvious enough - so I suggest to
ignore the patch, otherwise this discussion will never end.

Nevertheless, I try to give some answers:

On Sunday 31 August 2003 10:29, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 31 August 2003 02:01, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Oh, come on. We are talking about a combobox widget, not a shell.
> > I know CTRL-U in a shell, but not in a text field widget.
>
> this is in all the text fields as well... try it out.

nice hidden feature, but still not obvious to a new user.

> > And a user who is new to Linux/KDE will hardly have used a shell ever
> > bevore.
>
> and so they can't figure out how to clear the lineedit?

Sure they can. But that's not the point.

> > And I don't see the problem to add a simple button in a small dialog,
> > which has not many buttons in it (so this added one will not overload the
> > dialog).
>
> because that button is not very clear in its purpose and keeping dialogs as
> simple as possible is desirable.

I would like to see dialogs "as usable as possible".

> the burdon of proof is on your shoulders: what user has troubles because of
> this, exactly? how does the added interface elements make it faster/easier/
> more obvious to use for our target audience?
>
> i just don't see enough of an upside to warrant the addition.

I tried to explain in a previous mail.
I call myself an experienced user, but still I was missing that button -
therefore I added it.

> > And one could argue, why you then have such a button in konqueror.
>
> as i described in my initial email, that's because konqi's location bar is
> not transient. that said, i'd just as soon see it removed there as well.

NO! Please leave it there, it is very useful, and a good feature I was always
missing in other browsers.

> > And BTW: I would also like to add such a button in the standard file
> > dialog - it's missing there too.
>
> gah... are you kidding? that dialog is already vastly overpopulated... the
> last thing it needs is more widgets that do something that you can already
> do, just in a different way.

That's a matter of taste.
You might be right though, that some buttons in this dialog are not very
obvious to use...
But ok, I see it also more important to correct the TAB behaviour in the top
combobox (to make it work like konqi).

- --
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin