List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Building KDE from CVS: Newbie asks some stupid questions.
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-08-23 9:49:21

On Friday 22 August 2003 23:19, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:24:30 +0200
>
> Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:
> > If you want to wipe out your KDE source code, you have "make cvs-clean"
> > or "make admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean" (adjust the last path as
> > needed.)
>
> What is the difference between
>
>   make admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean
>   cvs up
>
> versus
>
>   rm -fR
>   cvs co
>
> ?

A big one. :-)

The first only removes the files not in KDE's CVS (by using the entries in the
files CVS/Entries.) At the end, you still have the source files, so cvs
update just get the patches to update.

The second one: you remove everything. So you have to download the whole
source again.

I suppose that you understand that downloading patches is better than
downloading the whole source. It save everybody's resources: for you, it gets
faster (less download time perhaps costs you less, isn't it?), for the KDE
CVS server, there is less traffic. (Less traffic also means that more people
can access the server.)

> I'm still unclear on what KDEHOME is supposed to be.  My RedHat 9 system
> doesn't have that defined, so I assume it is defaulting to somewhere?
> Is it supposed to point to the user HOME directory?

$KDEHOME is the home of the KDE user data. By default it is defined as
$HOME/.kde

If you still plan to run the KDE of your distribution, you should define
another $KDEHOME  Earlier KDE versions does not always like what later KDE
versions put in there.

So maybe you should copy your $HOME/.kde to something else and then define
$KDEHOME to that copied directory.

> Many thanks to those who've aswered my questions.  In the meantime, I
> have discovered kde-build in the kdesdk/scripts folder, which answered
> some of my questions.  For instance, it makes clear that arts must be
> built before kdelibs.  It also uses Kevin's suggestion of separating the
> source and build directories to avoid filling the source directory with
> compiled files.

Separting source and build directories have the advantage that you do not need
cvs-clean, as you can simply remove the build directory.

> Now if I can just get kde-build to do a full build and install of all
> modules, at least once, I think I'll be squared away and off to the
> races!
>
> Thanks again,
> Gary

Have a nice day!