List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Building KDE from CVS: Newbie asks some stupid questions.
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2003-08-23 9:29:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 22 August 2003 23:19, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> What is the difference between
>
>   make admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean
>   cvs up
>
> versus
>
>   rm -fR
>   cvs co
> ?

I think a lot more traffic.
cvs up checks which file it has to get while cvs co needs to fetch all
files, including seldom changed files like icons, data files, etc.

> I'm still unclear on what KDEHOME is supposed to be.  My RedHat 9
> system doesn't have that defined, so I assume it is defaulting to
> somewhere? Is it supposed to point to the user HOME directory?

It can be used to have different user KDE directories.
KDE usually uses $HOME/.kde to store configs, application user data, etc.
KDEHOME can be used to set it to a different directory, for example if you
want to run two different KDE versions in the same user account.
I think the value of the variable is relative to $HOME so
KDEHOME=.kde
should have the same effect as not defining it at all.

> Many thanks to those who've aswered my questions.  In the meantime, I
> have discovered kde-build in the kdesdk/scripts folder, which answered
> some of my questions.  For instance, it makes clear that arts must be
> built before kdelibs.  It also uses Kevin's suggestion of separating
> the source and build directories to avoid filling the source directory
> with compiled files.

Another advantage is, you can start with a really clean build if you want
by just removing the build directory first.

Cheers,
Kevin