List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: autorun?!
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-08-22 4:21:22

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 05:38 am, Arnold Krille wrote:

> Imho the point matthias wieser wanted to point out is that you don't
> know wether the user wants to install the game or just inserte the cd
> because the game needs data-files on it to run...

Which is why I think it needs to be off by default, and if on, should at
least pop up a confirmation dialog. Audio CD's sometimes have data
tracks on them, and DVD's frequently have data content. One example is
the LOTR:FOTR DVD, which invariably brings up an installer to load a
viewer for the "extras" when I insert it in Windows.

Here's a compromise between the Windows we-know-what-you-want and the
UNIX the-user-is-in-charge worlds: when some new media is detected,
merely place some icons on the desktop or panel. Then the user can
click an icon if they want to access it. For example, inserting an
audio CD with a data track could put up icons for kscd, audiocd:, and a
data folder.

--
David Johnson