List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: autorun?!
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-08-22 23:09:46

On Thursday 21 August 2003 00:51, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Simon Perreault wrote:
> > How about the Windows XP solution:
> >
> > 1) Detect the type of the CD (music, data, DVD, etc)
> > 2) Give choices to the user (play the music, rip it, etc.) based on the
> > type of the CD.
> > [...]
>
> Do it if you want. It may be a nice feature for some people.
>
> > 5) Have a global checkbox in KControl where the user can disable
> > autorun altogether.
>
> But please don't make it default. I hope you don't want hundreds of
> thousand people figure out how to disable it entirely only because some

IMO you might as well leave it out then if it isn't enabled per default.
This feature is not really a power user feature, but is something that
might be a big help to people like my mom who would have no clue on how to
get to the data on a cd herself.

So she should also have to hunt around in the control center to turn it on,
probably not knowing that it exists. IMO this doesn't make sense.

Instead let people who don't want it turn it off, maybe even add a config
button directly in the dialog if you are so afraid that it will be hard for
people to turn it off. But default settings should be made to make the
system as easy to use as possible, and IMO this includes turning this
feature on.

(and yes, i would personally hurry to disable it, at least after testing it)

> LinuxXP users are not able to do two(!) clicks to start their game.setup
> program.

So we should make it harder on those poor users instead of trying to help
them? Or are you trying to save those poor power users who are not able to
do four(!) clicks to turn it off for good? Please...

Mvh
Troels