List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KHexEdit widget in CVS...
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2003-08-19 12:37:33

Hi, back I am,

now giving more details of what I put into CVS:
The project KHexEdit2 consists of a lib, a qt designer plugin, a kpart and an
app. The first both are intended for inclusion in kdelibs, the latter one,
once finished (too late for 3.2 surely), as addition/substitution in
kdeutils.

lib:
The lib is the main work. It offers a general usable hex edit widget KHexEdit
that interacts with an abstract data buffer interface KDataBuffer. This
interface can be subclassed to offer access to different data buffers like
paged gigabyte big files, video memory or whatever you can imagine
(hopefully). For those simply needing a widget for a plain array of bytes
there is the widget subclass KBytesEdit, which hides the databuffer interface
and publically simply interacts with arrays (like "char Array[25];").

designer plugin:
I have never used QT designer but Reinhold told me where to read about how to
make a designer plugin. So I made one for KBytesEdit. I tested so far its
appearance in designer (in "Views (KDE)"), using it in the layouting and
changing its parameters. Seems to work so far :)

kpart:
This is more of a proof of concept. And result of my first steps with KParts.
But nevertheless usable. I still lack the understanding when to use what kind
of KPart. Hopefully I have someone in n7y to tell me about :)

app:
Same as with the kpart. One day this shell for the hex edit kpart might
substitute KDE's KHexEdit app of today. The reason I wrote the widget was
that I found the actual app to be very, well, sorry about this, no offense to
Espen Sand, wild coded, everything was strongly tied together, so I couldn't
simply rip of the widget part. Now, having a widget, it looks very naturally
to me to rebuild the app using the widget, not at least for coherent user gui
experience and code reduction. But this is still work in progress. I don't
think it will be easy to reuse the new widget in the old app, if someone just
got the idea. This man power might be better put into the kpart :)

I will lay alll effort to the lib to finally get the editing working. Please
test the lib (the API should be close to stable) if you are interested to
have it included in kdelibs and tell me about. I seems I need some arguments
to convince Stephan Kulow to put it there ;)

Friedrich