List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: autorun?!
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-19 9:43:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 10:20, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Henrique Pinto wrote:
> > One of the features KDE is missing is removable media automounting
>
> That's not a KDE feature but a feature of the OS. And it's already
> available.

perhaps, but how about command execution on specific disc type insertion?

in the case of a mixed cd (data and audio), suppose you want it automounted -
which layer looks after it? suppose you want it left unmounted and the
cdplayer started - which layer attends to it then?

> > 2) A KDED module: really simple. it would quietly wait for media to be
> > inserted and make the appropriate dcop calls to have [media]/autorun.sh
> > executed or a Konqueror window open at the mount point;
>
> What's so hard at clicking on the CD-icon?

why bother the user with pointless mouse interaction when the action could be
made automagic? (of course with the option to turn it off for people who dont
like that sort of thing)

> If the CD root directory isn't crowded there is no need to annoy the users
> by an obscure autorun mechanism.

and if it is crowded?

you seem to be harping back to the (bad) old windows days when magasine cover
discs/game instructions always had to say "navigate into the cd rom; click
autorun.exe". i always found my self asking why the fsck can't the computer
just do that?!

gav

--
Gav Wood <gav@kde.org>