List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: autorun?!
From:       Gav Wood <gav () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-19 9:53:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 02:59, David Johnson wrote:
> Henrique Pinto wrote:
> > One of the features KDE is missing is removable media automounting and
> > I'm interested in implementing this. There are, however, some
> > considerations on how it should be done. Below I list my ideas of
> > possibilities for this implementation:
>
> Automounters should belong to the underlying system and not to KDE, as
> they are not standardized. A better way to do this is to create a front
> end and/or set of scripts that use the available automount facilities.
> If that's what you meant, great.

no. but then i wasn't talking exclusively about automount.

mounting a data cd may be a couse of action on a disc insertion; so might
executing "kfmclient ~/Desktop/CD.desktop", "xine dvd:/", "kscd", a custom
made shell script. how about displaying an icon on the desktop to the cd's
actual icon (i.e. as it would appear in windows).

this type of infrastructure is not standardised in the unix environment.
autorun (by redhat) goes some way towards it, but isn't perfect being
cumbersome to use in a gui environment (a daemon in it's own right),
inefficient (will only execute one command per disc type), and rather
ineffective (can only handle a couple of types of disc).

i coded a simple, effective library-based solution, based from code by Eric
Lathrop, author of cdde (cd detect and execute); it works well, is easily
portable to bsd etc, is smart (autodetects devices), and relatively
integrated.

> Beyond that, I think a KDED module is the best way to go, with user
> configurable actions. And whatever you do, make it extremely easy to
> turn off. I love automount, but I absolutely abhor the autorun/autoplay
> stuff in Windows.

fair enough.

gav

--