List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: .fonts-cache files in $HOME KDE 3.2cvs
From:       Peter Hyman <pete4abw () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-08-14 19:51:13

Update.....
> doesn't sound normal - no. What version of fontconfig do you have? Starting
> KDE (via startkde) should *not* create *any* .fonts.cache-??? files. These
> are created (AFAIK) fro fc-cache. The new (and old) font-installers call this
> when installing fonts.

fontconfig = 2.1.9mdk (for Mandrake)
libfontconfig-1-devel = 2.1.9mdk

> $HOME/.fonts is fontconfigs standard location for user fonts - hence the new
> font-installer uses this by default. I plan to write a shell script to move
> any left over fonts from $KDEHOME/share/fonts to $HOME/fonts

> > Looks like the operative areas of startkde are the cause.

> Maybe, but I don't see how.

Correct, it was the 2.1.9 version of fontconfig.  I upgraded to 2.2.9
and tested and lo and behold, no TMP files in $HOME.  The bad news is
that 2.2.9 completely hosed my font config for Mandrake 9.1.  I could
not get the config to work.  On downgrading back to 2.1.9, fonts
reappeared!

I suppose that Mandrake may have modified one of the conf files and it
got overwritten, but that will take a lot more research.  ITMT, I'll
continue with the TMP files since I need access to my system fonts.