List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: .fonts-cache files in $HOME KDE 3.2cvs
From:       Peter Hyman <pete4abw () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-08-14 11:09:03

> > On starting KDE 3.2 cvs, over 250 0 byte .font-cache-1.TMP* files
> > are created in $HOME.  In addition, one .fonts-cache-1 file is created.
> > All looks normal so far.  Just wanted to know if that is normal.

> doesn't sound normal - no. What version of fontconfig do you have? Starting
> KDE (via startkde) should *not* create *any* .fonts.cache-??? files. These
> are created (AFAIK) fro fc-cache. The new (and old) font-installers call this
> when installing fonts.

fontconfig = 2.1.9mdk (for Mandrake)
libfontconfig-1-devel = 2.1.9mdk

> $HOME/.fonts is fontconfigs standard location for user fonts - hence the new
> font-installer uses this by default. I plan to write a shell script to move
> any left over fonts from $KDEHOME/share/fonts to $HOME/fonts

> > Looks like the operative areas of startkde are the cause.

> Maybe, but I don't see how.

> > Thx, Peter

> Craig.

I would like to add three things
1) I do not notice all these empty cache files in KDE 3.1
2) each time I start up 3.2cvs, all these 250+ files are recreated on login.
3) I created a separate KDEHOME dir so as not to confuse the two systems!

CU