Update..... > doesn't sound normal - no. What version of fontconfig do you have? Starting > KDE (via startkde) should *not* create *any* .fonts.cache-??? files. These > are created (AFAIK) fro fc-cache. The new (and old) font-installers call this > when installing fonts. fontconfig = 2.1.9mdk (for Mandrake) libfontconfig-1-devel = 2.1.9mdk > $HOME/.fonts is fontconfigs standard location for user fonts - hence the new > font-installer uses this by default. I plan to write a shell script to move > any left over fonts from $KDEHOME/share/fonts to $HOME/fonts > > Looks like the operative areas of startkde are the cause. > Maybe, but I don't see how. Correct, it was the 2.1.9 version of fontconfig. I upgraded to 2.2.9 and tested and lo and behold, no TMP files in $HOME. The bad news is that 2.2.9 completely hosed my font config for Mandrake 9.1. I could not get the config to work. On downgrading back to 2.1.9, fonts reappeared! I suppose that Mandrake may have modified one of the conf files and it got overwritten, but that will take a lot more research. ITMT, I'll continue with the TMP files since I need access to my system fonts. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<