List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-05 15:50:10

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 02:06, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I stand by my statement that Zach would not have misunderstood
> Reinhold's original posting if he had read it more carefully.  His
> failure to carefully read it was an error.  I did not intend this as
> a personal offense; I simply spoke the truth as I saw it -- I didn't
> say anything pejorative like: "you suck".

I was really trying to avoid this thread especially that because of
people like you I don't read kde-devel but this is just silly.
You claim that I misunderstood something and were offensive. I'm sure
you know that the "you suck" statement I've made is from a completely
different thread on a completely different list. I'm also sure you've
read that thread because you most definitely wouldn't be so ignorant to
write a few emails about how people don't read each other postings and
then be insulting a KDE developer neglecting to read the thread in
question. Now would you? Good, good, I'm glad.
I'm also sure, that because you've read those threads so carefully you
noticed the date tags on those emails and composed a timeline of
events, which is
1) Reinhold sends an email to kde-devel asking how to check for GTK+ in
KDE CVS.
2) I see the email and worried about breakage of some module in KDE CVS
respond: "What code is it? If it depends on Glib/GTK+ then why is it in
our CVS? And finally what versions of those libraries are we talking
about? Nowadays we use pkg-config to check for them, for an example you
can look at the configure.in.in in aRts."
3) I go back to working on kdepim, but the build system is broken. I
look at commits and see that Reinhold committed something I was trying
to prevent in step #2, breaking build in kdepim. I send an email to the
other list, since I'm assuming my email was ignored here as the commit
has been made.
4) Reinhold sends a response to my email in #2 explaining that it was a
mistake and answering my questions.
5) I read his email, agree with him, fix the problem in cvs for him,
respond saying " Fair enough, I fixed it in cvs." and I go back to
coding.
6) Thread between KDE developers ends.
7) Enter James Richard Tyrer: "GTK doesn't stand for GNOME
Tool Kit.", "No GTK+??! Then no KDE SVG"...

I'm still not sure why you wrote any of that. I mean you've read the
emails mightily carefully and must acknowledge the fact that the
conversation had nothing to do with GTK+ but was about breaking the
build system by depending on external libraries. So GTK+ has absolutely
no relevance here, it might have been as well ewl or fltk+.
And finally, the reason I couldn't ignore your email once again: my name
is Zack, don't try to level with me, we're not friends - use the same
spelling everyone else does.

Zack

--
I intend to live forever, so far so good.