List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lower case URLs?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-08-03 19:34:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Petter E. Stokke wrote:
>Well, one that's been giving me grief is ed2k, which is a pretty nastily
>constructed, but KURL parseable, URL format for the eDonkey P2P network.
>With the new KURL behaviour, filenames and hashes embedded in ed2k links
>come out of Konqueror in all lower case.

True. The ed2k protocol blatantly disrespects the RFCs. And all it took to
make it valid is add an extra slash or remove one...

>The reason I brought it up, though, is that I'm writing a kioslave for
>accessing file systems defined by symbolic names in a database, where
>the host portion of the URL refers to this name, which is case
>sensitive. This works just fine in KDE 3.1, but obviously breaks with
>the new KURL behaviour in CVS.

For your application, use a hostname-like host part. Better do it right the
first time. If your application doesn't have a host, use localhost or one
slash only.

From the other mail:
>How about this: the .protocol control files in $KDEDIR/share/services
>could be extended to include a directive specifying that the given
>protocol uses non-standard URLs, which KURL would obey and not attempt
>to process further. It's a bit like my previous suggestion of hardcoding
>a set of protocols that use DNS host names, only a little more sane and
>flexible. I'd be happy to come up with a patch to implement it if it
>doesn't sound too unreasonable.

That sounds too much for such a low-level class as KURL, though it might be
needed...

We might also require it for correct handling of IDN and IRI in non-standard
schemes (mailto: included, since KURL currently does not IDN-ise the hostname
part of the email address).

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com