List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lower case URLs?
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2003-08-03 23:10:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 21:34, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >The reason I brought it up, though, is that I'm writing a kioslave for
> >accessing file systems defined by symbolic names in a database, where
> >the host portion of the URL refers to this name, which is case
> >sensitive. This works just fine in KDE 3.1, but obviously breaks with
> >the new KURL behaviour in CVS.
>
> For your application, use a hostname-like host part. Better do it right the
> first time. If your application doesn't have a host, use localhost or one
> slash only.

I solved it by just using one slash and providing the list of servers as
a directory. It actually came out more useful that way, even if it's
semantically incorrect.

> From the other mail:
> >How about this: the .protocol control files in $KDEDIR/share/services
> >could be extended to include a directive specifying that the given
> >protocol uses non-standard URLs, which KURL would obey and not attempt
> >to process further. It's a bit like my previous suggestion of hardcoding
> >a set of protocols that use DNS host names, only a little more sane and
> >flexible. I'd be happy to come up with a patch to implement it if it
> >doesn't sound too unreasonable.
>
> That sounds too much for such a low-level class as KURL, though it might be
> needed...

It's the cleanest way I can think of, at least. I'll try to implement it
and see how much it breaks and what the performance impact is. Unless
someone with more intimate knowledge of KURL than I feels like giving it
a go, that is. :)

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc