List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lower case URLs?
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2003-08-03 14:36:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 00:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >The problem is that the hostname part of a URL not necessarily refers to a
> > DNS hostname. That is the case in smb for example, where it refers to a
> > workgroup I believe. Fortunately those names are case insensitive so it
> > doesn't cause problems there.
>
> What I mean is: there shouldn't be a protocol requiring a hostname that isn't
> "hostname-like". Hostnames are case-insensitive and the set of characters
> allowed is restricted by STD 3 and RFC 3491. For instance, a hostname cannot
> start with a dash, even though some other protocols may allow it in whatever
> they encode in the host part of the URL.

It's like writing web applications that have to work on Internet
Explorer - sometimes you have to make allowances for stupid but
prevalent applications. Unfortunately, in the case of URL abuse, it
happens so often it limits the usefulness of applications that are too
strict about the standard.

> What I can propose is that KURL is given a new method telling it not to
> process at all (keep as is; maybe only encode %HH). Though I don't know if
> that solves the problem.

It doesn't unless at least KHTMLPart operates in that mode by default,
and I suspect that would defeat the usefulness of the IDN support in
KURL.

How about this: the .protocol control files in $KDEDIR/share/services
could be extended to include a directive specifying that the given
protocol uses non-standard URLs, which KURL would obey and not attempt
to process further. It's a bit like my previous suggestion of hardcoding
a set of protocols that use DNS host names, only a little more sane and
flexible. I'd be happy to come up with a patch to implement it if it
doesn't sound too unreasonable.

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc