List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lower case URLs?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-08-02 22:36:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> URLs are defined with case insensitive hostnames. A protocol where
>> hostnames are case sensitive (there is no such thing in DNS) probably will
>> have a hard time using URLs at all.
>
>The problem is that the hostname part of a URL not necessarily refers to a
> DNS hostname. That is the case in smb for example, where it refers to a
> workgroup I believe. Fortunately those names are case insensitive so it
> doesn't cause problems there.

What I mean is: there shouldn't be a protocol requiring a hostname that isn't
"hostname-like". Hostnames are case-insensitive and the set of characters
allowed is restricted by STD 3 and RFC 3491. For instance, a hostname cannot
start with a dash, even though some other protocols may allow it in whatever
they encode in the host part of the URL.

For SMB, though it's abusing a bit the URL standards, the workgroup names are
acceptable because they are "hostname-like".

What I can propose is that KURL is given a new method telling it not to
process at all (keep as is; maybe only encode %HH). Though I don't know if
that solves the problem.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com